The aftermath of a motor vehicle accident can feel overwhelming and chaotic, but it is important to try to keep a clear head during this time and avoid making any unnecessary mistakes that may jeopardize your ability to successfully file a personal injury claim. The things you do or say can have a profound impact on your case, so we compiled a list of things you should and should not do after an accident.
Tips on How to Handle the Aftermath of a Car Accident
Receiving compensation for the injuries you sustain in an accident is crucial, which is why you should be careful with what you do in the aftermath. The last thing you want is to handicap your case and potentially miss out on recovering the damages you deserve.
Here is a list of some things you should and should not do if you are involved in a wreck:
- Do not admit any fault or responsibility.
- Never say that you are sorry or offer any sort of apologies for the accident.
- If you believe you may be injured, even if it is minor, seek medical attention as soon as you are able to leave the scene of the accident. If an ambulance is offered, accept it.
- Do not speak to anyone at the scene of the accident other than first responders and law enforcement officers.
- Examine your body and be sure to mention any complaints you may have regarding any physical pain you are suffering from that might have been caused by the accident.
- Always maintain your composure and do not show that you are angry.
- After you seek medical attention, call a personal injury attorney as soon as possible to discuss the details of your case.
- Remember to be safe – not sorry.
Keeping these important tips in mind can help you in the aftermath of an accident and help keep you from making any damaging mistakes.
Speak to an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney About Your Car Accident Case Today!
If you were wrongfully injured in an accident, you should not hesitate to seek the knowledgeable legal counsel of a personal injury attorney. At Erskine & McMahon, LLP, our team is backed by more than 100 years of combined experience and a history of successful verdicts and settlements. You can rely on us to fight tirelessly on your behalf for fair and just compensation.
Reach out to our law office today at (903) 500-2490 to request a consultation. You will not owe us any fees until we win your case.